Posted by: Aunt Magaidh | November 20, 2009

Distraction has it’s merits

So the job search is still going on.  It’s been 4 months.  I’ve gotten 2 phone interviews, 1 face to face, but no offers. Yet.  Today is another interview, having passed the resume gauntlet and the phone screening.  Needless to say, I’ve been a little anxious.  Thank goodness for distraction.

The last couple of weeks I’ve been doing a variety of sewing projects, but this week I took on a completely impractical project.  A Dickens Fair bonnet.

Our family is planning on going to the Dickens Fair this year as part of the holiday celebration.  And of course, the daughter and I want to go in costume.  I’ve gotten most of our outfits together, but it is the bonnets that are the finishing touch that makes an outfit “right”.

I started by researching the bonnets on eBay and photos of bonnets from Dickens Fair sites and 1850s fashion plates on the internet.  I watched the progress on bonnets by this wonderful seamstress Daze of Laur, http://www.dazeoflaur.com/.  Amazing stuff.  But waaaaaay out of my budget.  (Remember, me?  I’m unemployed and not getting an unemployment check.)

But then I found a lovely site by following a group discussion: Making a Bonnet from a Straw Hat –  http://www.darlinganddash.com/strawbonnet.html.

Oh my goodness. This was something I felt I could do.  (There is also a way to make a bonnet with duct tape and cereal boxes, but I wanted something that would last if I was going to put my time into it.)

Here are the in-progress photos.

 

See the straw hat base? Notice the newspaper pattern pieces?

 

Hot glued 2 rows of eyelet lace...tricky to not burn fingers!

 

I made my own runched ribbon...it totally made the hat "pop".

 

 

And my costs?  About $10.00.  Materials were…

  1. An old straw sun hat.
  2. Black cotton velvet, ivory cotton eyelet lace, green cotton, blue polyester, from inherited fabric stash
  3. Green satin ribbon, silk roses, silk lilac flowers from a friend’s craft stash. (Thanks Liz.)
  4. Hot glue gun, hot glue sticks, and silk magnolia blossoms – $10.00.  (I used a coupon for Michael’s to save money on the glue sticks.)
  5. Time…about 6 hours spread over 2 days.

Let me show you the finished project…Drum roll please…

 

View of finished bonnet...yeay!

 

 

I’ll wear it for one day, but I’ll feel like those ladies of London so happy to have a lovely bonnet for the holiday!  Yep, distraction has it’s perks!

Magaidh

Advertisements

Responses

  1. BEAAAAUUUUUTTTTIIIIIFFFFUUUULLLLL…

    You’ll be the bell of the ball.

    On a more personal note, I made my first bonnet for dickens many moons ago…and was SO proud…and promptly left it at the house the day we went…so make sure you don’t forget your treasure 🙂 HUGS!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: